Quick Post – Veeam Backup for Office 365 v4c Important Update Including App-Only Authentication
Please confirm you are running Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 build 188.8.131.529 prior to installing this cumulative patch KB3194. You can check this under Help > About in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 console. After upgrading, your build version will change to 184.108.40.2061.
For the full list of System Requirements, Known Issues, Installation and Upgrade considerations, please refer to this Release Notes document.
Cumulative patch KB3194 provides a set of bug fixes listed below:
- After upgrading Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 from versions 4.0, 4a or 4b to version 4c, a full backup sync may be performed instead of an incremental sync.
- OneDrive and SharePoint personal sites backup completes with the “Cannot change WebPart ExportMode to ‘All’. WebPart will be skipped” warning.
- In organizations added with basic authentication, a user with a mailbox placed on Litigation Hold continues to consume the license after their Office 365 license has been removed.
- SharePoint site migration to an object storage repository may fail with the “File ‘%ID%’ version ‘%number%’ has already been committed” error.
- Change token is not preserved for a SharePoint list which processing completed with the “The changeToken refers to a time before the start of the current change log” error.
This is a very very quick post to highlight that last week we released v4c of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 (Build 220.127.116.11) which might be seen initially as a patch release, however as has been more and more the case with our interim releases, we have packed in new features and enhancements as well as fixes. The biggest one in this release related to support Office 365 Organizations that are using modern authentication. In the new mode, Veeam Backup for Office 365 (VBO) performs all its backup and restore operations using an Azure AD application instead of user credentials. With this, VBO can leverage auxiliary backup applications to enable faster SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business backups for organizations using modern app-only authentication, though as noted in the VeeamKB, this mode does come with a bunch of limitations initially.
For a great look at how to configure VBO for modern authentication, head to this post from Benedikt Daeumling.
In terms of enhancements, the UI now has an improved mechanism for Backup Accounts management allowing for easier selection of a security group and managing dozens of accounts and we continue to improve on the upgrade experience across the board (not only for VBO) buy the product auto upgrade feature now being able to automatically installs any new or missing Veeam Explorers that come as part of the VBO download in addition to the newest patches for Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365.
Apart from those new additions to v4c, there are a number of important resolved issues which can be seen in the VeeamKB. For those with the correct entitlements you can download the patch from the link in the VeeamKB. Don’t forget also, there is a Community Edition available that is free for up to 10 users.