Quick Post – Veeam Backup for Office 365 v2 Important Patch plus Self Service Warning Fix
Last week we snuck out an important cumulative patch for Veeam Backup for Office 365 v2 bring the build number up to 188.8.131.527. The patch is actually fairly significant and I would recommend anyone running VBO to update as soon as possible. It covers Licensing, SharePoint and OneDrive, Group and Shared Mailbox fixes and enhancements as well as general server fixes.
To download and install the update, head to the VeeamKB here. There are some important notes about the upgrade process depending on your deployment configuration.
- Execute VBO2.0-KB2765.msp as administrator on the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 server.
- If there are any remote proxies in your environment please update those as described here
- If you use a remote VBO365 console and/or remote VBO365 PowerShell module installation, please contact technical support to assist you in upgrading those components.
Self Service Warning Fix:
Not related to the update, but something that I had happen to me on testing the upgraded VBO instance was that when I went to perform a Self Service through the Veeam Explorer for Exchange or Sharepoint I had the following pop up.
Once hitting ok, I didn’t have the ability to choose a Service Provider connection for the Self Service restore operation. This was the same for both Exchange the Sharepoint Explorer. Working with our support to ensure it wasn’t a regression in the latest patch we found an entry in the Explorer log files that pointed to the issue.
[28.09.2018 13:08:15] <37> Info [CloudCacheSync] Synchronizing provider 184.108.40.206
[28.09.2018 13:08:16] <37> Error Exception while connecting to endpoints [220.127.116.11]
[28.09.2018 13:08:16] <37> Error No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 18.104.22.168:6180 (System.Net.Sockets.SocketException)
[28.09.2018 13:08:17] <37> Error All cloud gateways are unavailable (Veeam.Backup.Core.CCloudGateSvc+CAllGatesUnavailableException)
[28.09.2018 13:08:17] <37> Error Credentials with id ‘a22f868a-a51a-473f-9f6d-cff9ff250fa3’ were not found (System.Exception)
Basically the issue was caused by the fact that I had an uncontactable Service Provider endpoint configured in the Backup & Replication Server. Once I removed the offending entry in the Service Provider section, I was able to reload the Explorers and have the ability to perform self service recoveries again. It’s probably something that won’t come up under normal tenant circumstances as I connect to multiple Service Providers from my NestedESXi Homelab instance…but something to take note of if the warning appears for you.