Released: vCloud Director 184.108.40.206 – Important Networking Fixes!
Last week VMware put out a new point release for vCloud Director 9.0 (Build 7553273) for Service Providers. While there is nothing new in this release there are a significant number of resolved issues as listed in the release notes. One thing to mention is that even though this was released during a similar timeframe to NSX-v 6.4 there is no offical compatibility just yet.
Reading through the list of resolved issues there where some pretty impactful errors that seem to be related mostly to NSX operations and networking in general.
- Deleting a Provider VDC can corrupt VXLAN network pools that are in use After you delete a Provider VDC, its associated VXLAN network pool becomes unusable by organization VDCs backed by other Provider VDCs.
- The Redeploy an Edge Gateway from vCloud Director task succeeds instantly but the Edge does not actually redeploy in NSX When you attempt to redeploy an Edge Gateway from vCloud Director, the API initiates a task in vCloud Director and in vCenter Server but does not send a redeploy request to the NSX server. As a consequence, the Edge Gateway does not redeploy.
- Registration of an NSX Server fails when you supply the credentials of an SSO user vCloud Director SSO users are not authorized to access an NSX endpoint required for registration, so registration fails.
- Changes on Edge Gateway Services are not synchronized between vCloud Director and NSX When you modify one of the Edge Gateway Services, for example by creating a Static Route, the change is saved on the vCloud Director side but cannot be saved on the NSX server.
- Creating or updating a firewall rule for an Advanced Gateway Portal with enabling the Show only user-defined rules toggle causes the action of the default firewall rule to change. When you create a new firewall rule or update an existing rule for an Advanced Gateway Portal, if you enable the Show only user-defined rules toggle, the action of the default firewall rule changes incorrectly to match the last modified rule.
- Deleting an external network that uses a distributed virtual port group with a Private VLAN does not work When you try to delete an external network that is liked to a private VLAN associated with a distributed virtual port group (
dvPortgroup), the deletion fails with an
InternalError: Only single VLAN or trunk VLAN is supportederror message.
- You cannot add a DNAT rule configuring an original or a translated port or port range through the tenant portal When you attempt to add a DNAT rule from the Edge Gateway screen in the tenant portal, you cannot enter either a port or a port range in the Original Port and the Translated Port text boxes.
- Creating a SNAT or a DNAT network rule by using a public IP address that is not associated to a particular network interface fails When you try to create a SNAT or a DNAT network rule for either an internal or an external interface in vCloud Director, if the public IP address is not added to a particular network interface, you receive a the following error message:
- Configuring a static route fails if you set the gateway of an external network as a next hop IP address When you configure a static route for an organization network, if you enter the address of an existing default gateway in the Next Hop IP text box, saving the static route configuration fails with the following error message:
Good to seem them fixing issues quickly but it also tells me that a lot of people participating in the beta for 9.0 didn’t test deep enough against real word scenarios…a lot of what is listed above isn’t what you would consider corner cases. These issues should have bene picked up before going to GA. Possibly also shows that a lot of VCPP Service Providers haven’t upgraded to 9.0 just yet. In any case the vCloud product development team has been hard at work resolving the bugs and Service Providers should be confident deploying or upgrading to 9.0 now.
If you are a vCAN SP and have the right entitlements follow this link to download vCloud Director 220.127.116.11: