Veeam Vault #10: Latest Veeam Releases and Vanguard 2018 Update
Welcome to the 10th edition of Veeam Vault and the first one for 2018. It’s pretty crazy to think that we have already completed two months of the year. After an extremely hectic first half of January attending two of our Veeam Velocity Sales Kick off events (Bangkok for APJ and Saint Petersburg for EMEA) i’ve been working from the home office for close to six weeks. It’s been a productive time organising content and working with different Cloud teams across the business to help enable our VCSPs to take advantage our our cloud technologies and help them drive services revenue.
Getting stuck into this edition, I’ll cover the releases of Veeam Availability Orchestrator, the Infinidat Storage Plugin and Update 5 for the Veeam Management Pack… all of which happened over the last week. I’ll talk about the Veeam Vanguard Program for 2018 as well as link to Veeam related content the Vanguard crew have put out over the past couple of months.
Veeam Availability Orchestrator:
Veeam Availability Orchestrator has been in the works for a while now and it’s great to see it hit GA. It boasts an automated and resilient orchestration engine for Veeam Backup & Replication replicas, designed specifically to help enterprises with compliance requirements. One of it’s biggest features is helping to reduce the cost and effort associated with planning for and recovering from a disaster through the automatic creation, documentation and testing of disaster recovery plans.
For a deeper look at it’s features and functionality, Michael White has a good overview post on VAO here.
Infinidat Storage Plugin:
Our new Universal Storage Integration API that was introduced with the release of Update 3 for Backup & Replication 9.5 allows approved Veeam Alliance Partners to build their own storage plug-ins to enable rapid development of primary storage integrations. Infinidat is our first Alliance Partner to integrate through the Universal Storage Integration API. This adds to existing integrations with Cisco, Dell EMC, HPE, IBM, Lenovo and NetApp.
My fellow Technologist, Michael Cade has written up a blog post explaining how to download and install the plugin for those customers using Infindat as their storage backend.
Veeam Management Pack Update 5:
Update 5 for Management Pack went GA today and there are a few new things this release that builds off of the Update release 4 last year. below is a quick rundown of what’s new in this update.
- Built-in monitoring for Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows
- Morning Coffee Dashboard for at-a-glance, real-time health status of your Veeam backup environments
- Monitoring for VMware Cloud on Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Additional VMware vSAN & vCenter Alarms
It’s pleasing to see support for VMware Cloud on AWS as that starts to look to gain momentum in the market and also great to see us enhancing our vSAN alarms as that product also evolves. For a detailed description of the new features, read the release post here.
Veeam Vanguard 2018:
Overnight we notified new and returning members of their successful application for the Veeam Vanguard program for 2018. This is one of the most hotly sort after influencer programs in our industry and I can tell you that the process to vote for and accept applicants was tough this year. The Product Strategy team takes a lot of care and effort in selecting the group and it represents the best Veeam advocates going round. We work closely with the group and their feedback plays a key part in our feedback loop as well as help us to promote Veeam and Veeam products within their companies and spheres of influence.
Well done to the 2018 nominees!
Veeam Vanguard Blog Post Roundup:
- Andrea Mauro – Veeam acquires N2WS
- Andrea Mauro – New Veeam Recovery to Microsoft Azure
- Andrea Mauro – Per VM license in Veeam product
- Andrea Mauro – Veeam Availability Orchestrator is GA
- Andreas Lesslhumer – How to forcibly stop a dedicated Veeam job stuck in stopping status
- Craig Dalrymple – Postman Collection for Veeam Availability Console
- Christopher Glemot – Step by Step Guide Veeam B&R 9.5 U3 Upgrade
- Christopher Glemot – Interview – Q&A about Veeam Availability Suite 9.5 U3
- Christopher Glemot – Veeam Availability Suite – New licensing option (per-VM)
- Didier van Hoye – CBT DRIVER WITH Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 2.1
- Ian Sanderson – How to restore to Azure with Veeam 9.5
- Ian Sanderson – How to deploy a Veeam proxy server to Azure
- Markus Kraus – Efficient Veeam Direct NFS Access NetApp backup
- Markus Kraus – Veeam Integration mit vRealize Operations Manager
- Mike Preston – Quick to the point – A specified parameter was not correct spec.vmProfile in Veeam
- Matt Crape – Veeam PN is now GA
- Matt Crape – The Mysterious Case of The Failing Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Jobs
- Jorge de la Cruz – Veeam Veeam Announces Agent for Linux 2.0 – Backups to Cloud Connect and more!
- Jorge de la Cruz – Veeam magnets, visio shapes with magnets, ready to use on whiteboards in the Real World
- Piotr Masztafiak – There is a growing demand for Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365
- Piotr Masztafiak – Veeam Availability Orchestrator is GA
- Rhys Hammond – Veeam Replication Job Stuck at 99%
- Vladan Seget – Veeam PN Generaly Available – Free Software
- Vladan Segat – StarWind Virtual Tape Library (VTL) for Veeam and AWS further details
- Vladan Seget – What is Veeam Availability Orchestrator?
- Yukinobu Asami – Veeam Backup & Replication v9 vs VMware vSphere Data Proteciton (VDP)
- Yukinobu Asami – HPE SimpliVity 380 take advantage of Veeam Backup & Replication at: 1 + 1 = 3 to allow HPE + Veeam synergistic effect
- Yukinobu Asami – The Veeam B & R before to try in a real environment, smooth evaluate the pre-check in briefly Veeam ONE report, realized the POC
- Yukinobu Asami – Nutanix – Veeam Backup & Replication Ver9.5 Update3 Best Practices: About Direct NFS